Under the direction of the Education Department Head, the Land Based and Cree Language Instructor will be responsible for planning and coordinating Land Based and Cree Language programs for students that incorporates cultural knowledge and historical perspectives. The incumbent will be responsible for planning and preparing all instructional components for activities such as hunting and gathering and living off the land as well as Cree Language learning. In addition, responsible for the development of relationships with the local community, local organizations, and schools.
REPORTS TO Department of Education Head
• Education Degree with SK Teacher’s Certification
• Cree Language Instruction Skills
• Several years’ experience in outdoor activities, knowledge of plants and animal lore and wilderness survival skills.
• Previous instruction/teaching experience.
• Experience in teaching traditional culture
• Previous experience teaching safety skills
• Able to build Connection to local knowledge keepers, elders, trappers, on-the-land supports and resources.
• Current certificates in CPR/Heart Saver, First Aid, Hunter Safety, Flat water Canoe, Boating
• A Valid class 5 drivers’ licence, CPIC and/or Vulnerable Sector Check.
• Establishes community connections with local Indigenous subject matter experts that promote Indigenous Languages, Indigenous Way of Life and Land Based Education
• Establishes a Cree language program for students.
• Coordinates and plans on-the-land learning with classroom teachers.
• Ensures safety standards are adhered to and safe practices maintained at all times.
• Increases local knowledge keepers and elders in the school through land-based education.
• Increases and supports a deeper connection to the land for students and staff including the knowledge of plants, hunting, harvesting, and building.
• Empowers students/staff to develop and advance an Indigenous worldview.
• Conducts and organizes day, overnight and weeklong activities that may take place in and around the schools.
• The position works the school year.
• Physically capable of performing all the duties of the position.
• Based on work experience, training, and education.
Application Deadline: 4:00 PM, September 15, 2023
Forward cover letter, resume and three (3) references by fax or email to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (306) 835-2036
Applicants will only be considered if all the required documentation is received by the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.